- Kaohsiung Medical University established the first Department of Oral Hygiene in Taiwan over 20 years ago.
- As a result of the establishment of oral hygiene departments at junior colleges (Hsin Sheng Junior College of Medical Care and Management; Jen-Teh Junior College of Medicine, Nursing, and Management; Shu-Zen Junior College of Medicine and Managment) and 4-year programs (Department of Oral Hygiene Care, Ching Kuo Institute of Management and Health), the demand for high level instructors is increasing.
- The establishment of the Department of Mental and Oral Health at the Ministry of Health and Welfare denotes an increased focus on the promotion of oral health and preventative healthcare.
- The Student Oral Healthcare Project run by the The K-12 Education Administration, Ministry of Education, is aimed at lowering the rate of cavities and improving the awareness and skills of children, parents, and teachers in preventative oral healthcare.
3. The Public
- With an increase in awareness about the relationship between oral health and quality of life, the demand for professionals in the dental job market is increasing each year.
- Current dental assistants without formal training may not be able to satisfy public demand for medical care quality.